Browse through our frequently asked questions (FAQs) about vaping.
- Drop three to eight drops (depending on the coil size) of e-liquid in the centre of the coil (not too much as this can flood it).
- Allow drops to be soaked in and use the cotton holes on the side of the coil to see when the cotton becomes saturated. When all cotton is glistening it’s good to go.
- Place it inside your tank and fill the tank with e-liquid.
- You can let the tank sit for a few minutes or set your device to the coil’s minimum heat setting (for example, if the coil can handle 30-80W (written on the coil or coil packaging), set your device to 30W).
- Hold the fire button while gently blowing down the mouth piece/drip tip (that’s right, not drawing on the tank, but gently blowing air down the tank). Once you can see that that tank is producing adequate vape with no gurgling sounds, priming is complete.
- Fill the pod with e-liquid and attach to pod battery.
- Block the airflow with your finger/s (location of airflow is shown in your pod kit’s user manual).
- Gently and with long draws suck on the mouth section of the pod about five to 10 times while blocking the airflow. You are basically drawing e-liquid to the internal coil of the pod and soaking the cotton.
- Let it sit for a few minutes.
- E-liquid: Some flavour compounds can impact coil life, not any specific flavours but generally, the sweeter the e-liquid, the higher potential for build-up, which can damage your coil.
- Power settings: Powering too high or too low can shorten the coil life. It’s best to find the wattage that best suits the coil, device and your inhale. The specifications of coil and device power settings are a guide only. For example, you may find your combination of products (e-liquid, tank, coil and mod) works better at a lower setting than specified.
- Manufacturing: As most things these days are mass produced, this can lead to inconsistencies with pre-built coils. You may have done nothing wrong but still experience less coil lifespan.
- Improper priming: Priming your coil is very important to avoid burning. Follow our ‘How to prime new coils or pods’ FAQ steps prior to using your new coil.
- The coil or pod has reached the end of its usable life and simply needs replacing.
Solution: Replace the coil.
- The tank has been screwed together incorrectly which can damage o-rings allowing for an air breach.
Solution: Check all tank connections and o-rings. Replace any damaged o-rings from the spare parts you received with your device.
- The PG/VG ratio of an e-liquid may not suit your tank or coil. Most sub-ohm tanks prefer high VG levels (60%+) and will be more prone to leaking if the levels are lower.
Solution: Check the specifications of the device and the e-liquid ratios to ensure they are compatible.
- The power setting is too high or low for the specific coil.
Solution: Check the wattage required for the coil. You can find this engraved on the coil or on the coil box packaging. Adjust your device to suit the heat settings required.
- The coil may be loose. It may have been installed too loose or became loose due to heat expansion.
Solution: Check that the coil is screwed in securely.
- The coils may be unsuitable for the device. If the device is too powerful or not powerful enough, it can create an improper airflow through the coil, causing liquid build up.
Solution: Check the device specifications and ensure your coil matches its requirements. If not, replace it with a coil that is suitable.
- Insufficient airflow for a specific coil.
Solution: Coils that are higher wattage require more airflow. The amount of draw brought through the tank needs to suit the higher wattage requirements otherwise the coil will flood and leakage will occur.
- The coil/tank is not suited to your style of vaping. If you take smaller draws and mostly mouth-to-lung (MTL) instead of direct-to-lung (where you draw while inhaling) you will have trouble with leaking when using tanks like a Vaporesso SKRR-S, as they require constant high power and airflow to maintain a vacuum.
Solution: Monitor your style of vaping and change the device or tank you are using to suit.